A no-bake sweet potato pie is an alternative to conventional sweet potato pie. It typically uses vegan, gluten-free, and healthy ingredients without sacrificing flavor. No-bake recipes are designed for those who may not have the time or skill to prepare a traditional baked recipe.
Sweet potatoes a root vegetable
Sweet potatoes are root vegetables that come from the morning glory family (Convolvulaceae). They can be eaten cooked or raw, even though cooking them produces more nutritious results. High in fiber and potassium, they also contain vitamin B6 and C, magnesium, niacin, and thiamine as well as the plant-based protein, manganese. Sweet potatoes typically look like yams; however, true yams are not consumed in the US.
There are several kinds of pies. It is usually a pastry dough that covers or completely envelops a filling of various sweet or savory items. The type of pie we’re focusing on today is the ‘no bake’ sweet potato pie version. What makes this version different from others is that you don’t have to put it in the oven, meaning that there is less time involved, making it even more appealing.
Tips to make no-bake sweet potato pie
here are some tips and tricks for making an excellent no-bake sweet potato pie
1) keep your grated ginger root (or powder) to 1/2 tsp because the flavor is quite intense.
2) The thickness of the pie really depends on how many cans of sweet potatoes you use, so it’s best to try and find a ratio that works for you in terms of taste and consistency.
3) if you’re making this in hot weather, it might be a good idea to keep your mashed potatoes in the fridge until right before mixing with other ingredients.
4) make sure to let your mixture cool completely before adding evaporated milk otherwise it will curdle (it should still look creamy).
5) make sure to use fresh cinnamon sticks instead of ground powder because they are stronger
6) don’t skip on the real vanilla extract!
7) experiment with different nuts like pecans or walnuts
8) if your pie cracks on top, don’t worry it’s normal
9) you can also use canned sweet potatoes if you don’t want to cook and mash them yourself.
Make no bake sweet potato pie
Ingredients 2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes (about 2 large or 3 medium)
2 (14-ounce) cans of sweetened condensed milk, divided
⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, plus more for greasing the pan (optional)
1 tablespoon molasses (optional)
¼ teaspoon salt (more to taste; optional) 4-5 cinnamon sticks
½ teaspoon ground ginger root Instructions In a large saucepan, combine the sweet potatoes, 1 can of condensed milk, brown sugar, butter pieces, molasses (if using), and salt (if using). Cook over medium-high heat until it starts to bubble. Reduce the heat to low. Using tongs or a wooden spoon, smash any large pieces of potato against the side of the pan. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes more. Remove from the heat; discard the cinnamon sticks. Stir in the remaining can of sweetened condensed milk and stir to combine thoroughly with a rubber spatula. Stir in your vanilla extract and cool completely before adding your evaporated milk otherwise, it will curdle (it should still look creamy). Transfer mixture to an 8-inch square baking dish greased lightly with softened butter. Cover with foil and refrigerate until firm, at least 8 hours or overnight. Enjoy your quick and easy no-bake sweet potato pie.